Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pride and Prejudice Comparisons Part 2

Recently I participated in a four-part comparison of the Pride and Prejudice adaptations made in 1995 and 2005, thanks to the lovely Miss Woodhouse of 'Elinor, Elizabeth and Emma'. (http://elinorandemma.blogspot.ca/) The lovely pictures are also courtesy of Miss Woodhouse.

And anyone who does not agree with me, I am up for a comment war! ;)

Part 2
Kitty, Lydia and Mary Bennet



1995

They are great. Lydia and Kitty are fun and Mary is very studious, as they should be. I think Lydia is played well, especially in the scenes after the marriage, as she seems totally oblivious to what she has done wrong, just as it is in the novel. Kitty is very much copying Lydia which it is meant to be, and I think she was also played well. Her reaction to Lydia’s elopement and thinking that it is not in fact that bad is how I think she would be expected to think, as it is how Lydia thinks. Mary is just as she is like in the book, very studious and out from the other sisters. She really doesn’t seem to mix with her sisters much at all in this version, but I love her little speeches when trying to express her opinion on something.

2005

To me, all the sisters in this version seem more sisterly. I love Lydia and Kitty – they are so fun and seem so happy and care free! I think Mary was great, she seemed different to her other sisters, but not by choice. She played Mary really awkwardly in the ball scenes, which I think is more how Mary is. It is sweet that she is upset after being asked to stop playing the piano. I also love Kitty’s reaction to Lydia being asked to Brighton and not her, and how Lydia crows over her sister; shows how immature she is!

Preference

Overall I much prefer the sisters in the 2005 version. Mary is not so annoying, and is more shy and lacking confidence. Lydia and Kitty are really fun and show their immaturity well, as they are basically just two young girls obsessed with some dashing soldiers! I love the relationship between Kitty and Lydia – it seems a lot closer in the 2005 one, and seems to change a lot, as it would, after Lydia goes to Brighton. The relationship between all the sisters is just stronger in the 2005 version which I like, and Mary isn’t so totally different as it appears in the 1995 version. I also like that the idea of Mary liking Collins is more emphasised in this version. My two favourite Bennet sister scenes would be firstly, the beginning when they all listen at the door to their mother and father when discussing Bingley and then all running into the sitting room to question their father, and then the other is when they are returning from the Netherfield Ball, with Lydia and Kitty asleep on Jane; this really shows their closeness I think.

Mr Collins


1995

He is played well in this one. He is comical at times, but also spiteful and really gets under your skin at other times! My favourite scene of his would have to be when he comes to visit the Bennet’s after Lydia's elopement, and is gloating over the fact that Lizzy didn’t marry him! He is so dislikable at that moment! He is also funny during the Netherfield Ball when he dances in the wrong direction to Lizzy’s despair, and Darcy’s amusement! I also love his way of treating Lady Catherine, and of being treated by Lady Catherine!

2005

He is such a silly and comical character in this one! He is sometimes mean, but doesn’t really realise why what he is saying is mean! I love the proposal from him! He seems so confused afterwards, and you feel a little sorry for him and also want to laugh at his stupidity! He is also funny around Lady Catherine, as he seems so awed by her! And I love the power Charlotte has over him in this one, even though he doesn’t really realise it! Mr Collins in this version is a lot more innocently annoying.

Preference

I think I prefer the 1995 Collins, although it is a close call. I think he needs that side of him which realises that what he is saying sometimes is... impolite. This side of him makes him more dislikable, which I like! Also, I find you pity the other Collins too much for my liking! And of course I love his relationship with Lady Catherine, and the dance scene at Netherfield is so very funny!

Charlotte Lucas



1995

I like Charlotte in this version. She is very quiet as she should be. She also seems very indifferent to the fact that she has married... well... Mr Collins, which again she is described as being, and yet at other times, she shows herself to be a little sad at what she has had to settle for, like when she is asking Lizzy to come and visit her in March; you can see the desperation in her eyes, poor girl!

2005

She too is played very well I think in this version. I find that she shows more emotion. For example, when she informs Lizzy of her engagement, you can feel her pain in having to tell her best friend this news, and then see her anger as she knows Lizzy will judge her. Then later when Lizzy visits her, you can see how happy she really is to run her own home, even if she must share it with such a man as Mr Collins!

Preference

Overall I prefer the 2005 Charlotte. I think her relationship with Lizzy is better as they seem closer at the beginning, and then you can see how her choice of husband will affect their friendship. Also, I like the looks you get from Charlotte in the 2005 version, hinting to her about a possible attachment on Darcy’s side. Overall, I prefer this Charlotte, with her relationship’s with Lizzy, and with her husband!

Caroline Bingley



1995

She is such an insufferable woman! And this is very clear in this version! Her sneaky looks to Mrs Hurst, and indirect insults to Lizzy, and direct compliments to Darcy! I think that is one of the aspects of her character which is highlighted in the series; her clear wish of a connection between herself and Darcy! I also love Darcy’s reaction to her! She is easily dislikable from the very beginning and very frustrating in this version, and Lizzy’s quick wit in standing up to her make Caroline an important, annoying, and funny character to have in the story!

2005

She seems, in this version, very proud and above her company. She is more spiteful in this version, I find, and I dislike her for this. She is more subtle in her insults to Lizzy and her family, and in her wish regarding Darcy. It is a shame we don’t see her as often, as I would have liked to see her reaction to Darcy’s growing affection for Lizzy! She performs it very well, and is very dislikable. Her connection and treatment of her brother, Bingley, seems like it was described in the book in this film, and I love the ginger hair ;) She was a very good Caroline, and very malicious and horrible, as she should be!

Preference

I think it would be the Caroline in the 1995 version I prefer, maybe as we see more of her, but also I think her relationship with Darcy is great, well, really funny! Also, she is really dislikable and insufferable, but not so openly spiteful and mean, like in the film! I also like her relationship with Mrs Hurst, and the looks they give each other, and Lizzy’s reaction to that. I find Caroline very much as described in the novel!

Georgiana Darcy



1995

She is a great character in this version, but not as shy as I imagined she would be. One moment I think she does really well however, is the piano scene at Pemberley. First, I love her conversation with Lizzy, showing them getting on very well together, and secondly, when Wickham is mentioned, her reaction is great as no doubt she would still be upset about that, as it was quite a recent affair.

2005

I love her in this version! She is sweet and innocent and acts her age! She seems shyer in this version, as she should be. I love her relationship with her brother; I love when he first returns home and interrupts her piano practice (that embrace is so sweet!), and then I also love the moment when Lizzy meets her for the first time, and she is really happy and bouncy, but a little shy as well.

Preference

I easily prefer the 2005 Georgiana. She is more innocent in that version, and I think her relationship with her brother is great! Another moment I love is when she gives her brother a look, as if trying to encourage him to ask Lizzy and the Gardiners to stay, as he does shortly after. I think she just seems more her age and also perhaps, knocked in confidence as the whole affair with Wickham would cause, in the 2005 version and I can completely imagine her being charmed by Mr Wickham to the point of almost eloping!

The Gardiners


1995

I think the Gardiners are great in this version. You get to see them quite a lot, unlike the 2005 version, and they seem like the perfect aunt and uncle. I love their relationship with Lizzy, and the trip to the Peak district is great, and I love the reaction of Mrs Gardiner in particular when hearing about how wonderful the supposed to be proud Darcy is, and then experiencing it first hand, and seeing how different he was to Lizzy’s description! 

2005

It is a shame that we do not see much of the Gardiners, but what we do see of them shows them to be a great aunt and uncle as well. I also love their reaction to seeing Pemberley for the first time, the look on their faces is a picture! I think they seem quite close as a couple in this version, but I would need to see more. It is shame they left out the Gardiners children in this version, that showed them to be great parents as well in the 1995 one!

Preference

I prefer the 1995 Gardiners. I love their relationship with Lizzy, especially between the aunt and Lizzy. I also think that they seem like a really lovely couple and a great aunt and uncle, as well as great parents. Of course I love the Gardiners, as who knows what would have happened without them, ‘as by bringing her into Derbyshire had been the means of uniting them.’ ;)

Colonel Fitzwilliam



1995


I think Colonel Fitzwilliam is such a sweet character and portrayed brilliantly in this version. I like how the idea of him and Lizzy is hinted at more in this version and I love the conversation around the piano at Rosings with him, Darcy and Lizzy; it shows him to be a really fun and amiable man.

2005

You don’t see much of him in this version, but what you do see was done very well. He seems like a very friendly chap from first impressions. I think the scene where he reveals the truth about Bingley’s departure is well done, as he seems very unaware of why Lizzy would be so interested in the news, as he should be.

Preference

I think because we get to see more of him in the 1995 version, I prefer that one. I love his little relationship with Lizzy, and how there is a possible wish for something more on his side, (and you can tell the idea did pass through Lizzy's mind, and it is not such a silly idea I wouldn't think as in the 1995 one I think he is handsome enough!) which I think is ignored in the 2005 version, due to time.

Part 1
Part 3
Part 4


Your affectionate friend,
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible," therefore I would dearly love for you to comment and let me know what you think!

Thank you for stopping by Laughing With Lizzie and I hope you will take the time to visit again before too long!